ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:May 24, 2026, 11:55 IST
Iran’s Embassy in India rejected Rubio’s remarks on Tehran’s nuclear programme and energy policies, accusing Washington of spreading “distorted” narratives.

Banner, file photo of Mojtaba Khamenei/Marco Rubio (AFP/AP)
The Iranian Embassy in India on Sunday issued a sharp rebuttal to remarks made by US Secretary of State Marco Rubio during his ongoing India visit, accusing Washington of attempting to “distort the realities of the region" and deflect attention from what it called the “destabilising policies" of the United States and Israel.
In a detailed statement posted on X, the Iranian Embassy said, “The Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran in India rejects the recent remarks made by the United States Secretary of State regarding the Islamic Republic of Iran and emphasizes that such allegations constitute a clear attempt to distort the realities of the region and to deflect attention from the destabilizing policies of the United States and the Zionist regime."
The embassy pushed back against Rubio’s comments regarding the global energy market and maritime security in the Strait of Hormuz.
Defending Tehran’s energy role, the statement said Iran has “always been prepared to make its energy resources available to all countries, including the Republic of India."
It argued that the real disruption to global energy markets has come from American sanctions on Iranian oil exports, which it described as “unlawful and unjust."
“The unlawful and unjust sanctions imposed by the United States on Iran’s oil exports" were designed “in violation of the principles of international law and the Charter of the United Nations," the embassy stated.
The Iranian mission further accused Washington of imposing decades of hostile measures against the Iranian people, including restrictions affecting medicines and medical equipment.
According to the statement, such sanctions had “endangered the lives of many innocent patients and caused widespread human suffering."
WHAT RUBIO SAID DURING INDIA VISIT
Rubio, who is on a four-day official visit to India, had earlier indicated that negotiations between Washington and Tehran may be making progress.
Speaking at an event at the US Embassy in New Delhi on Friday, Rubio said, “There’s been some progress made. Even as I speak to you now, there’s some work being done."
He added that Iran “can never have nuclear weapons" and said Tehran must hand over its enriched uranium stockpile.
According to Rubio, “The straits need to be opened without tolls."
The US Secretary of State also reiterated that President Donald Trump preferred a diplomatic resolution to the crisis.
“The President’s preference is always to solve problems such as these through a negotiated diplomatic solution," Rubio said.
Separately, during discussions with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Rubio stressed that “the United States will not let Iran hold the global energy market hostage," according to the US State Department.
The American side also highlighted the possibility of US energy exports helping diversify India’s energy supply.
IRAN DEFENDS NUCLEAR PROGRAMME
Responding directly to Rubio’s remarks on Tehran’s nuclear activities, the Iranian Embassy reiterated that its programme remains peaceful and under international monitoring.
“With regard to the claims made by the U.S. Secretary of State concerning Iran’s nuclear program, the Islamic Republic of Iran once again recalls that, as a committed member of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT), it has consistently declared that its nuclear program is entirely peaceful," the statement said.
The embassy added that the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) had “thus far neither observed nor reported any diversion in Iran’s nuclear activities."
Iran further maintained that the “peaceful use of nuclear science and technology" is a “legitimate and inalienable right" of the Iranian people and insisted that Tehran “will never relinquish this lawful and internationally recognized right."
In its concluding remarks, the Iranian Embassy asserted that Iran’s armed forces remain “in full readiness" and prepared to respond “with strength, authority, and determination to any act of aggression or threat against the sovereignty, security, and territorial integrity of the country."
Press Statement by the Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran in India in Response to the Remarks of the U.S. Secretary of StateThe Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran in India rejects the recent remarks made by the United States Secretary of State regarding the Islamic…
— Iran in India (@Iran_in_India) May 24, 2026
TENSIONS CONTINUE DESPITE DIPLOMATIC EFFORTS
The Iranian statement also accused the US and Israel of fuelling instability in the region through “military, provocative, and adventurist actions."
Tehran claimed these actions were threatening maritime security in the Strait of Hormuz and contributing to global energy and security crises.
Meanwhile, diplomatic activity surrounding the conflict has intensified in recent days.
Reports cited hectic behind-the-scenes negotiations involving Iran, the US, Pakistan, Qatar, Oman and other regional actors. Pakistani Army Chief Field Marshal Asim Munir held meetings with senior Iranian leaders in Tehran, while Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi reportedly spoke with counterparts from Turkey, Iraq, Qatar and Oman regarding efforts to prevent further escalation.
Iranian officials, however, continued to issue warnings against possible renewed military action.
Iranian parliamentary speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf warned that if Trump restarted the conflict, the consequences would be “more crushing and bitter for the United States than on the first day of the war."
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
News world 'Clear Attempt To Distort Realities': Iran Rejects Rubio’s Remarks On Nuclear Row, Hormuz Blockade
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More

52 minutes ago
1





English (US) ·