Iran Agrees To Give Up Enriched Uranium Stockpile In Emerging Deal With US: Report

1 hour ago 3
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:May 24, 2026, 09:38 IST

Iran has agreed in principle to give up its stockpile of highly enriched uranium as part of an emerging deal with the US, with negotiations now focused on implementation details.

 AFP)

Fordo (Fordow) uranium enrichment facility in Tehran (Photo: AFP)

Iran has agreed to give up its stockpile of highly enriched uranium as part of an emerging agreement with the United States, a development that could become a major breakthrough in ongoing efforts to end the months-long conflict between Washington, Israel and Tehran, a report by The New York Times has claimed.

According to the report, Tehran agreed to a statement pledging to relinquish its cache of enriched uranium, material that US officials reportedly believe could have been sufficient to produce multiple nuclear weapons.

The issue of Iran’s uranium reserves had reportedly become one of the biggest sticking points during negotiations.

The report said two unnamed American officials confirmed that Iran had agreed in principle to surrender the stockpile.

However, the exact mechanism for disposing of or transferring the uranium would reportedly be discussed in future negotiations.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly referred to the enriched uranium stockpile as “nuclear dust," and has maintained that preventing Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons remained one of the key objectives of the conflict.

The report further stated that American officials warned Iran that military strikes could resume if Tehran refused to compromise on the uranium issue even after broader ceasefire discussions had advanced.

Reuters separately reported that the draft framework under discussion includes commitments from Iran to never pursue nuclear weapons and to negotiate over suspending uranium enrichment and removing its highly enriched uranium stockpile.

TRUMP SAYS DEAL DETAILS STILL BEING FINALISED

Meanwhile, Trump said on Truth Social that a “largely negotiated" memorandum of understanding was taking shape and that final details were still being discussed.

Trump claimed the proposed agreement would also lead to the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, the crucial global shipping route disrupted during the conflict.

However, Iran’s Fars news agency reportedly disputed Trump’s characterisation of the agreement and said his claims regarding the Strait of Hormuz were “inconsistent with reality."

The Reuters reports also said the proposed framework could unfold in three stages, formally ending the war, resolving the crisis in the Strait of Hormuz, and opening a 30-day negotiating window for a broader agreement.

Axios, cited by Reuters, reported that the developing agreement could involve a 60-day ceasefire extension under which the Strait of Hormuz would reopen, Iran would regain the ability to sell oil freely, and negotiations would continue over its nuclear programme.

IRAN REMAINS PUBLICLY SCEPTICAL OF US INTENTIONS

Despite reports of progress, Iranian officials publicly continued to question Washington’s intentions.

Reuters reported that Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf told Pakistan Army chief Asim Munir during talks in Tehran that the United States was “not an honest party" in negotiations and that Iran would not compromise on its “national rights."

Qalibaf reportedly warned that if the US “foolishly restarts the war," Iran’s response would be “more forceful and bitter" than earlier phases of the conflict.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei also said that while there had been movement toward reducing disputes, “issues still need to be discussed through mediators."

Baghaei reportedly added that Iran’s priority remained preventing fresh US attacks and addressing regional tensions, including the conflict in Lebanon.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

News world Iran Agrees To Give Up Enriched Uranium Stockpile In Emerging Deal With US: Report

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article