Israel Planning ‘Gaza Occupation’ Plan? PM Netanyhu To Hold Key Security Meet

6 months ago 12
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:August 07, 2025, 17:23 IST

Israeli PM Netanyahu has ordered the IDF to take full control of Gaza, escalating conflict with Hamas. Concerns rise over hostages' safety and humanitarian crisis.

Benjamin Netanyahu to chair key security cabinet meet over Gaza occupation.

Benjamin Netanyahu to chair key security cabinet meet over Gaza occupation.

In a significant escalation of the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas militants, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has reportedly instructed the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) to launch a full offensive and take full control of the Gaza Strip, the besieged Palestinian territory.

Netanyahu’s Key Security Meet

The Prime Minister is expected to convene the security cabinet to discuss plans for the military to take control of Gaza despite mounting global outrage over the grim humanitarian situation in the territory, news agency Reuters reported.

Amid a stalling of ceasefire negotiations with Hamas, Israeli officials said that Netanyahu was considering an expansive offensive. The Jerusalem Post reported that Netanyahu’s office delivered the directive directly to IDF Chief of Staff Eyal Zamir, with an ultimatum: implement the order or resign.

However, senior Israeli military officers and former senior commanders warned that the plan would endanger the lives of the remaining Israeli hostages held by Hamas, risk further international isolation of Israel, and require Israeli soldiers to administer a population in which Hamas militants are still present.

Israel’s Offensive

On Wednesday, the military announced a fresh evacuation call for portions of Gaza City in the north, and Khan Yunis in the south, where an IDF spokesperson said ground forces were set to “expand the scope of combat operations".

Defence Minister Israel Katz has said that the military would carry out the government’s decisions until all war objectives were achieved. Israeli leaders have long insisted that Hamas be disarmed and have no future role in a demilitarised Gaza and that the hostages be freed.

The Israeli military says it controls about 75% of Gaza. Most of Gaza’s population of about 2 million has been displaced multiple times over the past 22 months, the news agency added.

An Appeal From Hostages’ Families

A proposal for the Israeli military to expand its operations into previously untouched areas of the Palestinian territory has caused concern within Israel. On Thursday, Einav Zangauker, whose child is a hostage, urged public opposition to this expansion. She argued that a leader who is committed to a “comprehensive deal" would not put soldiers and hostages at risk by conquering the Gaza Strip, Reuters reported.

Similarly, the Hostages Families Forum, a group representing the families of those held captive in Gaza, appealed to military Chief of Staff Eyal Zamir to oppose a broader military campaign. They called on the government to accept a deal that would secure the release of the remaining hostages and end the war.

US President Donald Trump’s Take

US President Donald Trump is also involved in the efforts to end the war in Gaza. On Tuesday, Trump declined to say whether he supported or opposed a potential military takeover of Gaza by Israel and said his administration’s focus was on increasing food access to the Palestinian territory.

“I know that we are there now trying to get people fed. As far as the rest of it, I really can’t say. That’s going to be pretty much up to Israel," Trump told reporters as quoted by The Guardian.

What’s The Situation In Gaza?

As military operations intensify, the humanitarian situation in Gaza continues to deteriorate.

The United Nations estimates that nearly 1,400 Palestinians have died since May while attempting to access aid, many near distribution sites operated by an American contractor with Israeli backing.

On Tuesday, a senior UN official warned that expanding Israeli military operations inside the territory “would risk catastrophic consequences for millions of Palestinians and could further endanger the lives of the remaining hostages in Gaza".

There are 50 hostages still held in Gaza, of whom Israeli officials believe 20 are alive. Most of those freed so far came about as a result of diplomatic negotiations. Talks toward a ceasefire that could have seen some hostages released collapsed in July.

About 1,200 people were killed and 251 hostages taken to Gaza in the October 7, 2023 Hamas attack on southern Israeli communities. More than 61,000 Palestinians have been killed by Israel’s assault on Gaza, according to the Gaza health ministry, which said 98 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire across the enclave in the past 24 hours.

(With inputs from agencies)

authorimg

Shobhit Gupta

Shobhit Gupta is a sub-editor at News18.com and covers India and International news. He is interested in day to day political affairs in India and geopolitics. He earned his BA Journalism (Hons) degree from Ben...Read More

Shobhit Gupta is a sub-editor at News18.com and covers India and International news. He is interested in day to day political affairs in India and geopolitics. He earned his BA Journalism (Hons) degree from Ben...

Read More

view comments
    Location :

    Israel

    First Published:

    August 07, 2025, 17:23 IST

News world Israel Planning ‘Gaza Occupation’ Plan? PM Netanyhu To Hold Key Security Meet

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article