ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:May 17, 2026, 14:49 IST
Authorities confirmed that the body of the diving instructor has been recovered, while search and rescue operations for the four missing tourists remain ongoing.

The victims included a marine biology professor, her daughter and two young researchers. (PHOTO: AFP)
The Maldives government has suspended the operating licence of tourist vessel MV Duke of York following a deadly diving incident in Vaavu Atoll involving five Italian nationals.
In a statement, the Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation said the incident took place on May 14, 2026, during a diving excursion involving four Italian tourists and a diving instructor.
Authorities confirmed that the body of the diving instructor has been recovered, while search and rescue operations for the four missing tourists remain ongoing.
The ministry said it was extending its “deepest condolences" to the families of the victims and also to the relatives of Staff Sergeant Mohamed Mahdi of the Maldives National Defence Force, who died during the rescue operation.
“His dedication to duty and the sacrifice he made in service to others will not be forgotten. Our thoughts are with all those affected during this deeply difficult time," the statement said.
According to the government, President Mohamed Muizzu and Tourism Minister Mohamed Ameen visited the site to oversee the operations.
The Maldives National Defence Force and Coast Guard are treating the search mission as their “highest priority", the ministry added.
The statement also praised rescue personnel for their “courage and commitment under extraordinarily difficult circumstances."
Announcing action against the vessel operator, the ministry said the operating licence of MV Duke of York had been suspended pending a full investigation into the incident.
“All necessary action will be taken to ensure full accountability, and tourism businesses and service providers will continue to be held to the standards required of them," the statement added.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
News world Maldives Suspends Boat Operator’s Licence After Italian Divers’ Deaths
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More

2 days ago
1





English (US) ·