ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:August 10, 2025, 23:47 IST
Israel had so far blocked most foreign reporters from independently accessing Gaza since it launched its military offensive after the Hamas-led attack on October 7, 2023.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. (AFP)
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday announced a plan to allow more foreign journalists to report inside the war-torn Gaza with the military, in a rare press conference where he offered more details about his vision of victory against Hamas in the ongoing conflict.
Israel had so far blocked most foreign reporters from independently accessing the territory since it launched its military offensive there after Hamas’ unprecedented attack on October 7, 2023, which killed 1,200 people. Officials have often cited security as the reason for not allowing foreign journalists there.
“We have decided and have ordered, directed the military to bring in foreign journalists, more foreign journalists, a lot," Netanyahu said during Sunday’s press conference. “There’s a problem with assuring security, but I think it can be done in a way that is responsible and careful to preserve your own safety."
However, Netanyahu did not provide any specifics on the plan. Global press outlets have relied on local journalists on the ground in Gaza to provide reporting and footage from the war for a long time, as access to Gaza has been tightly controlled for the 22 months of war.
Netanyahu’s Plan For Gaza
Netanyahu also defended Israel’s plan to occupy Gaza City, insisting that Israel’s goal is liberation from Hamas rule, not to impose a long-term occupation. “Gazans are begging us and begging the world to be freed from Hamas," he said.
ALSO READ: ‘Goal Is To Free, Not Occupy Gaza’: Netanyahu Says Palestinians Desperate For End To Hamas Rule
He accused the Palestinian militant group of still having “thousands of armed terrorists" in Gaza and said Israel’s military operations are focused on eliminating this threat. “No nation would put up with an entity committed to its annihilation a stone’s throw away from its border."
Presenting his postwar vision for Gaza, Netanyahu said the territory would be demilitarised, with Israel maintaining ultimate security control. A security buffer zone will be created along the Israel-Gaza border to prevent future attacks.
Meanwhile, Hamas accused Netanyahu of telling what it called a “series of lies" at a press conference Sunday where he laid out his vision for victory in Gaza. “Everything Netanyahu said in the press conference is a series of lies, and he cannot face the truth; instead, he works on distortion and hiding it," said Taher al-Nunu, the media adviser to the head of Hamas’s political bureau.
(with AFP inputs)

Aveek Banerjee is a Senior Sub Editor at News18. Based in Noida with a Master's in Global Studies, Aveek has more than three years of experience in digital media and news curation, specialising in international...Read More
Aveek Banerjee is a Senior Sub Editor at News18. Based in Noida with a Master's in Global Studies, Aveek has more than three years of experience in digital media and news curation, specialising in international...
Read More
- Location :
Jerusalem, Israel
- First Published:
August 10, 2025, 23:47 IST
News world Netanyahu To Allow Foreign Journalists In War-Torn Gaza: 'We Have Ordered The Military To...'
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More

6 months ago
12






English (US) ·