ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:August 06, 2025, 19:50 IST
Marcos confirmed that Philippines is in the process of procuring additional BrahMos missiles, citing the recent tensions with China at the disputed South China Sea.

PM Modi and Philippines President Bongbong Marcos. (Narendra Modi/X)
Philippines’ President Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos Jr, who is on a five-day state visit to India, said his first trip to New Delhi was “very productive" and expressed willingness to purchase more BrahMos missiles and other military equipment from India amid tensions with China.
In an interview with Firstpost Managing Editor Palki Sharma, Marcos said the relationship with India is entering “a new phase" as part of efforts to build a “strategic partnership" and stressed that Manila must upgrade its equipment to be interoperable with partners.
He also confirmed that Philippines is in the process of procuring additional BrahMos missiles, stressing that “all options are on the table" when it comes to modernising Philippines’ armed forces. His government has also contacted Indian counterparts to understand how the system was deployed effectively in recent conflicts.
Marcos Praises India For Op Sindoor
Marcos also commended India’s role in Operation Sindoor, highlighting it as proof of the value of joint exercises and the importance of a coalition of like-minded nations.
He said that while Philippines was “not preparing for war", is strengthening military preparedness in response to regional challenges, most notably with China’s expansionist claims in the South China Sea. He also welcomed India’s growing role in the Indo-Pacific and praised the performance of Indian military equipment.
Philippines recently conducted a joint naval sail and military drills with the Indian Navy in the disputed South China Sea for the first time. Indian Navy ships that took part included guided missile destroyer INS Delhi, tanker INS Shakti and corvette INS Kiltan.
India and the Philippines also decided to elevate their ties to a Strategic Partnership with and both sides agreed for the expeditious conclusion of the negotiations of the Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) between India and the Philippines for further promotion of mutual trade.
Marcos On China
Armed Forces of the Philippines Chief of Staff Gen. Romeo Brawner on Monday said that the joint naval sail and exercises had been successful and raised hopes of Filipino forces engaging with India’s military in more joint manoeuvres in the future.
“We are not against anyone. We are for defending our territory," Marcos told Firstpost, adding that any unilateral attempt to alter boundaries must be opposed. He also warned of the risks of escalation due to “some guy pressing the wrong button," and underlined the need for open communication lines.
While holding talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Marcos said the issue of China came up, but the conversation was “tangential", adding that Manila was “not a puppet state" and that its alliances were driven by its own strategic needs.
“Why should we turn down partners who also face the Chinese threat?" he asked, adding that the Philippines “will not cede one square inch of territory" and “will not give up on our sovereignty."
China claims nearly the entire South China Sea, overlapping with maritime zones of Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam. Despite an international tribunal saying that China’s sweeping claims have no basis under international law, Beijing continues to enforce its claims.

Aveek Banerjee is a Senior Sub Editor at News18. Based in Noida with a Master's in Global Studies, Aveek has more than three years of experience in digital media and news curation, specialising in international...Read More
Aveek Banerjee is a Senior Sub Editor at News18. Based in Noida with a Master's in Global Studies, Aveek has more than three years of experience in digital media and news curation, specialising in international...
Read More
- Location :
- First Published:
August 06, 2025, 19:50 IST
News world Philippines President Marcos Signals 'New Phase' in India Ties, Open to More BrahMos Purchases
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More

6 months ago
12





English (US) ·