'Significant Progress Made': Rubio Signals Breakthrough In Iran Talks, Says Tehran Can't Own Strait

1 hour ago 3
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:May 24, 2026, 13:37 IST

Rubio said progress had been made in negotiations with Iran and hinted that “good news” could emerge within hours, reiterating that Tehran could not own the Strait of Hormuz.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during a bilateral meeting in New Delhi (PTI)

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during a bilateral meeting in New Delhi (PTI)

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Sunday indicated that progress had been made in negotiations involving Iran and suggested that an announcement could come within hours, as diplomatic efforts intensified around the crisis in West Asia.

Speaking during a press interaction in New Delhi alongside External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar, Rubio reiterated Washington’s position that Iran must never possess a nuclear weapon and stressed the importance of keeping the Strait of Hormuz open for global shipping.

“I do think perhaps there is the possibility that in the next few hours the world will get some good news," Rubio told reporters in New Delhi.

Rubio underlined that the United States remained firm on its core demand regarding Iran’s nuclear programme.

“The ultimate goal is that Iran can never possess a nuclear weapon," he said during the press briefing.

He added that negotiations were still ongoing and described the issue as technically complex.

“Nuclear program is a highly technical matter. It requires more time," Rubio said, while also noting that progress had been achieved in recent days.

“We have made some progress in the last 48 hours, but we still have some work to do."

The US Secretary of State also said President Donald Trump handled the war.

“No one is stronger on the issue than President Trump. If there is anyone who has done anything about it, it is President Trump," Rubio said.

STRAIT OF HORMUZ MUST REMAIN OPEN

A major focus of Rubio’s remarks was the Strait of Hormuz, the strategically critical shipping route that has remained central to the ongoing tensions in the region.

“The strait is an international waterway they can’t own," Rubio said.

On Saturday, too, Rubio had elaborated on Washington’s position, saying that Iran must ensure uninterrupted passage through the waterway.

“Iran can never have a nuclear weapon. The Strait must remain open without tolls, and they need to hand over their enriched and highly enriched uranium. These have consistently been the President’s positions," Rubio said.

He also signalled that diplomatic efforts could soon produce visible movement.

“There has been some progress made. Even as I speak to you now, some work is being done," Rubio said while responding to reporters on the margins of an event at the US embassy in New Delhi.

“There is a chance that, whether it’s later today, tomorrow, or in a couple of days, we may have something to say," he added.

DIPLOMATIC ACTIVITY INTENSIFIES

Rubio’s comments came amid diplomatic engagement involving multiple countries attempting to push negotiations forward.

Pakistan Army Chief Field Marshal Asim Munir met senior Iranian leaders in Tehran to discuss accelerating efforts toward a “conclusive agreement" between Washington and Tehran.

Pakistan Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi was also said to be engaged in discussions with Iranian officials.

A Qatari delegation was additionally reported to be in Tehran to encourage a negotiated settlement.

Earlier today, Trump had posted that a “largely negotiated" memorandum of understanding on an Iran peace deal could reopen the Strait of Hormuz.

RUBIO HAILS INDIA-US PARTNERSHIP

During his joint briefing with Jaishankar, Rubio also highlighted the India-US relationship and called the two countries “natural partners."

“The world’s oldest democracy, the United States, and the world’s largest democracy, India, are natural partners now and in the future," Rubio said.

“It is a great relationship already. We do so much together, and there is so much more to do," he added.

Rubio also referred to visa processing and security cooperation while speaking at the embassy event.

“Every visa decision is a national security decision, and I am proud to empower the Americans who work here as they serve on the frontlines of advancing our interests and President Trump’s America First foreign policy," he said.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

News world 'Significant Progress Made': Rubio Signals Breakthrough In Iran Talks, Says Tehran Can't Own Strait

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article