ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:August 18, 2025, 14:36 IST
Swiss watchmaker Swatch apologised and pulled its ads in China after backlash over a model’s 'slanted eye' pose, criticised as racist.

A man walk pass Swatch outlet at a shopping mall in Putrajaya, Malaysia (Photo: AP)
Swiss watchmaker Swatch issued an apology and pulled down its advertisements across China, featuring images of an Asian male model after the company faced backlash over the model pulling the corners of his eyes up and backwards in a “slanted eye" pose.
The images for the Swatch Essentials collection were widely condemned online in the country, where many said the model appeared to mimic racist taunts about Asian eyes.
In an apology posted in both Chinese and English on its official account on the Weibo social media platform on Saturday, Swatch said that it has “taken note of the recent concerns" and removed all related materials worldwide.
“We sincerely apologise for any distress or misunderstanding this may have caused," the statement mentioned.
It also posted the same apology on Instagram.
Swatch, which also makes Omega, Longines and Tissot watches, is heavily exposed to China for revenue, with around 27 per cent of the group’s sales last year coming from the China, Hong Kong and Macau region.
The criticism over the advert is the latest setback for a firm whose shares have fallen by more than half since early 2023 and now faces a 39 per cent tariff on its exports to the United States.
Meanwhile, shares in the company slipped by as much as 2.7 per cent in early trading on Monday before paring losses somewhat.
Revenue for the watchmaker slumped 14.6 per cent to 6.74 billion Swiss francs ($8.4 billion) in 2024, hit by a downturn in demand in China, where Swatch said it was seeing “persistently difficult market conditions and weak demand for consumer goods overall".

Vani Mehrotra is the Deputy News Editor at News18.com. She has nearly 10 years of experience in both national and international news and has previously worked on multiple desks.
Vani Mehrotra is the Deputy News Editor at News18.com. She has nearly 10 years of experience in both national and international news and has previously worked on multiple desks.
Click here to add News18 as your preferred news source on Google. Get breaking news, in-depth analysis, and expert perspectives on everything from geopolitics to diplomacy and global trends. Stay informed with the latest world news only on News18. Download the News18 App to stay updated!
view comments- Location :
- First Published:
August 18, 2025, 14:36 IST
News world Swiss Watchmaker 'Swatch' Apologises, Pulls Down Advertisement After Online Backlash in China
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More

5 months ago
11






English (US) ·