‘They Want To Silence Critics’: Stephen Colbert Slams Trump After CBS Blocks Democrat's Interview

2 hours ago 1
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:February 18, 2026, 05:40 IST

Stephen Colbert linked the decision to broader political pressure, accusing Trump’s administration and FCC leadership of attempting to silence critics.

US President Donald Trump and late night show host Stephen Colbert.

US President Donald Trump and late night show host Stephen Colbert.

Talkshow host Stephen Colbert accused the Donald Trump administration and broadcaster CBS of censorship after his network declined to air an interview with a Texas Democrat running for the US Senate. Speaking on The Late Show, Colbert said that the network lawyers instructed his team not to broadcast a planned interview with Texas state representative James Talarico, who is seeking the Democratic nomination to challenge Republican Senator John Cornyn.

“He was supposed to be here, but we were told in no uncertain terms by our network’s lawyers that we could not have him on the broadcast," Colbert said, adding that he was also advised not to discuss the decision on air.

Read more: ‘Red Lines Are Clear’: JD Vance Says US–Iran Talks Show Limited Progress, Military Option Open

The interview was later released on YouTube instead, which falls outside the regulatory authority of the Federal Communications Commission. The agency recently reiterated guidance on the “equal time rule" which requires broadcasters to provide comparable opportunities to rival political candidates.

CBS denied blocking the interview, saying the show was given legal advice about regulatory risks and options to comply with equal-time requirements.

“The Late Show was not prohibited by CBS from broadcasting the interview," the network said in a statement, adding that the programme chose to air it online rather than pursue equal-time arrangements for other candidates.

Read more: ‘If They Force Us To Choose…’: US Congressman Under Fire For Post Comparing Muslims To Dogs

Colbert, however, linked the decision to broader political pressure, accusing Trump’s administration and FCC leadership of attempting to silence critics.

“Donald Trump’s administration wants to silence anyone who says anything bad about Trump on TV," Colbert said during his show, criticising FCC chairman Brendan Carr.

The controversy comes amid heightened tensions between the Trump administration and media organisations. FCC commissioner Anna M Gomez, the agency’s lone Democrat, criticised CBS, warning that pressure on broadcasters risked undermining press freedom and public trust while Colbert’s show prepares to end its run following its cancellation by CBS earlier this year.

Meanwhile, Talarico suggested the dispute reflected political motivations, saying corporate media executives were yielding to pressure from powerful political figures.

Talarico is currently competing against fellow Texas Democrat Jasmine Crockett for the party’s nomination in the Senate race.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

Location :

Washington D.C., United States of America (USA)

First Published:

February 18, 2026, 05:40 IST

News world ‘They Want To Silence Critics’: Stephen Colbert Slams Trump After CBS Blocks Democrat's Interview

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article