Who Was Nasire Best? Suspect In White House Shooting Had Prior Secret Service Encounters

1 hour ago 1
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:May 24, 2026, 07:08 IST

Nasire Best, a 21-year-old Maryland resident, has been identified by US media reports as the suspect in the shooting near the White House security perimeter.

A photo of the person who fired shots near White House (L)/Scene from outside the White House (R) (Photos: Social Media/AP)

A photo of the person who fired shots near White House (L)/Scene from outside the White House (R) (Photos: Social Media/AP)

The man who allegedly opened fire near the White House security perimeter on Saturday evening (US local time) was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best from Maryland.

According to multiple media reports, Best had a documented history of mental health issues and had previously come to the attention of the US Secret Service.

The incident unfolded close to the White House checkpoint shortly after 6 pm local time, when the suspect allegedly removed a firearm from a bag and began shooting toward officers stationed at the security perimeter, according to the US Secret Service.

Officers returned fire, critically injuring the suspect, who later died at a hospital.

A bystander was also struck during the exchange of gunfire.

US President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time of the shooting but was not harmed, officials said.

SUSPECT ‘KNOWN TO SECRET SERVICE’

US media reports said Best had allegedly been “known to the Secret Service" because of multiple previous encounters with federal security personnel.

According to Fox News, Best was detained by Secret Service officers on June 26, 2025, after allegedly flagging down agents and making threats.

He was reportedly detained again on July 10, 2025, for entering a restricted area.

The New York Post, citing sources, reported that Best was believed to be mentally troubled and allegedly thought he was “Jesus Christ."

The report further claimed that he had violated a previous court order directing him to stay away from the White House complex.

BNO News also cited reports claiming Best had previously attempted to enter the White House last year.

Authorities, however, have not yet publicly detailed the motive behind the shooting, and investigations remain ongoing.

HOW THE SHOOTING UNFOLDED

According to the Associated Press, the shooting took place near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, just a block away from the White House. Journalists stationed at the White House reported hearing multiple gunshots before being instructed to immediately take shelter inside the press briefing room.

The Secret Service later said that the suspect approached the checkpoint, removed a weapon from his bag and opened fire at officers. Officers responded by firing back at the suspect.

AP reported that a bystander was also injured during the incident, though officials said it remained unclear whether the person was struck by bullets fired by the suspect or during the officers’ response.

Images from the scene showed a heavy law enforcement presence, yellow crime-scene tape, dozens of evidence markers and emergency medical supplies scattered across the pavement outside the White House complex.

JOURNALISTS AND TOURISTS DESCRIBE CHAOTIC MOMENTS

AFP reported that panic spread quickly around the White House area as gunfire erupted. Canadian tourist Reid Adrian told the news agency that he heard “probably 20 to 25" sounds resembling fireworks before realising they were gunshots.

ABC News correspondent Selina Wang was recording a social media video at the White House grounds when the shooting began. AP and AFP both referred to Wang’s account, in which she described hearing what “sounded like dozens of gunshots" before diving for cover.

AFP also reported that journalists positioned on the White House North Lawn were instructed to run and take shelter inside the briefing room during the exchange of fire.

INCIDENT COMES AMID HEIGHTENED SECURITY CONCERNS

The shooting has once again brought attention to growing security concerns around President Trump, who has faced multiple alleged assassination attempts in recent months.

AFP noted that Trump had already been the target of several security scares, including an alleged assassination attempt during the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner in April and the 2024 Butler, Pennsylvania rally shooting in which he was injured in the ear.

AP also noted that another recent shooting incident near the Washington Monument had led to Secret Service officers opening fire on a suspect earlier this year.

Federal agencies, including the Secret Service and FBI, are continuing to investigate Saturday’s shooting and the background of the suspect.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

News world Who Was Nasire Best? Suspect In White House Shooting Had Prior Secret Service Encounters

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article