4 Killed In Israeli Drone Attack Near Lebanon-Syria Border Targeting Palestinian Operatives

2 hours ago 1
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:February 16, 2026, 07:08 IST

An Israeli airstrike targeting a vehicle near the Lebanon-Syria border killed four people, with Israel saying the strike targeted Islamic Jihad operatives.

 Reuters)

People look towards Lebanon from the Israeli side of the Israel-Lebanon border (Photo: Reuters)

At least four people were killed after an Israeli airstrike targeted a vehicle near Lebanon’s border with Syria, Lebanese authorities said, underlining continued hostilities along Israel’s northern front despite an existing truce.

According to AFP, Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reported that an Israeli drone struck a car in the Majdal Anjar area near the Lebanese-Syrian border on Sunday.

The country’s health ministry confirmed that four people were killed in the attack.

The Israeli military said in a statement that it had targeted operatives belonging to the Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad.

Al Jazeera reported that the strike took place early Monday morning and identified one of those killed as Syrian national Khaled Mohammad al-Ahmad, citing Lebanese media.

The Israeli military confirmed the raid in a post on X, claiming the operation targeted members of Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) in Lebanon, though it did not provide evidence supporting the claim.

AFP noted that the attack appeared to be the first strike Israel has publicly claimed in Lebanon against Islamic Jihad since a November 2024 ceasefire aimed at ending more than a year of hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah.

Despite the truce, Israel has continued conducting periodic strikes in Lebanon, usually saying it is targeting Hezbollah fighters but occasionally also striking Palestinian factions allied with the group, including Hamas.

Islamic Jihad fighters were among those killed in Lebanon during clashes that erupted in October 2023 following the Gaza war.

During that period, both Islamic Jihad and Hamas claimed responsibility for attacks and infiltration attempts launched from Lebanese territory.

More than 370 people have been killed by Israeli fire in Lebanon since the ceasefire took effect, according to an AFP tally based on Lebanese health ministry figures.

Lebanon has since taken steps aligned with the truce.

The Lebanese army announced in January that it had completed the first phase of a government plan to disarm Hezbollah in areas near the Israeli border.

Some Palestinian factions in refugee camps also handed over weapons to Lebanese authorities last year, though Hamas and Islamic Jihad have not announced plans to disarm.

The latest strike comes against the backdrop of the long-running Israel-Palestinian conflict that has repeatedly spilled onto neighbouring Lebanon.

Tensions across the region remain closely tied to unresolved disputes over Palestinian statehood and Israeli control of territories captured during the 1967 Middle East war.

The vision of a two-state solution, long supported by international powers, has faced mounting challenges amid continued violence and political disagreements.

According to Reuters, obstacles to peace include expanding Jewish settlements, disputes over borders, the fate of Palestinian refugees and the status of Jerusalem.

The conflict has deep historical roots dating back to competing national claims in British-ruled Palestine and subsequent wars following Israel’s creation in 1948.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

First Published:

February 16, 2026, 07:08 IST

News world 4 Killed In Israeli Drone Attack Near Lebanon-Syria Border Targeting Palestinian Operatives

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article