ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:February 18, 2026, 02:02 IST
Tehran’s verification signal comes as negotiators agree on guiding principles while Washington increases military pressure in the region.

The world's largest warship, US aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford, on its way out of the Oslofjord at Nesodden and Bygdoy, Norway. (IMAGE: REUTERS)
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on Tuesday said Tehran is open to verification that it is not pursuing nuclear weapons, even as renewed talks with the United States got underway and military posturing on both sides added to the tense backdrop.
“We are absolutely not seeking nuclear weapons," Pezeshkian said in an interview published Tuesday, adding that Iran would be willing to allow verification if required.
His remarks came as Iran and the United States resumed negotiations in Geneva, where officials said they agreed on a set of guiding principles that could form the basis of a broader deal. The Oman-mediated talks are aimed at curbing Iran’s nuclear programme in exchange for sanctions relief, a longstanding demand from Tehran.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described the discussions as “more constructive" than previous rounds, saying both sides would now begin drafting texts for a potential agreement. Omani Foreign Minister Badr Albusaidi also said “good progress" had been made but cautioned that significant work remained.
The diplomatic push is unfolding against a backdrop of escalating rhetoric. Iran’s Supreme Leader warned the country has the capability to sink a US warship, while US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened “consequences" if a deal is not reached.
Washington has stepped up its military presence in the region, deploying the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln to the Gulf and indicating a second carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, would follow soon. Satellite imagery has previously shown US carrier strike groups operating within range of Iran.
The movement of more than 40 U.S. Air Force fighter aircraft coincides with the movement of a U-2 out of the United Kingdom and the recent arrival of 2 E-3 Advanced Early Warning & Control aircraft in the United Kingdom as a stop over on their way to the Middle East.The… https://t.co/2CfKPutjdM
— OSINTdefender (@sentdefender) February 17, 2026
Separately, open-source intelligence accounts have reported increased US air force activity linked to the region. Social media posts by OSINTdefender claimed movements of more than 40 US fighter aircraft alongside surveillance and early warning planes transiting through the United Kingdom en route to the Middle East. News18 could not independently verify these claims.
Meanwhile, Iran has sought to project its own military readiness, launching war games in the Strait of Hormuz this week and warning it could restrict parts of the strategic waterway during the exercises.
Despite the tensions, both sides have signalled cautious optimism. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Washington was hopeful a deal could be reached, while Iranian officials insist any agreement must include the lifting of sanctions that have weighed heavily on the country’s economy.
The West has long suspected Iran’s nuclear programme could be aimed at developing a bomb, an allegation Tehran continues to deny as negotiations move forward amid the threat of further escalation.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
Location :
Tehran/Washington DC, India
First Published:
February 18, 2026, 02:02 IST
News world Amid Nuclear Talks, Iran Signals Openness To Verification As US Military Build-Up Heightens Tensions
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More

1 hour ago
1






English (US) ·